Water experience is essential, as is good engineering knowledge -particularly electrical
Lead a great team, through 5 department heads, maximising commercial opportunity
Build and grow the existing, technically strong, engineering group with a real chance to make your own mark in this role
About the company
This family owned business operates four sites in the UK to serve customers nationwide. Its impressive portfolio of clients has been built over three decades, during which they have established themselves as leading providers of specialist MEICA services working within framework agreements or under direct engagement. They enjoy an excellent Health & Safety record, together with a fantastic client reputation which has ensured continued growth, including further recently won contracts with major clients. Their internal culture is to embrace a collaborative approach in which colleague recognition and respect are central tenets. This culture, in a highly skilled team, contributes well to the company ethos of delivering its customers a quality service.
About the role
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Engineering Manager will strategically lead the Engineering Group and manage the 5 Heads of Department to ensure that they achieve delivery of projects with high regard to safety, customer satisfaction and commercial success.
This role requires excellent commercial and contractual aptitude, together with the technical knowledge, to oversee complete project and programme management of projects (mostly within the UK Water Industry) ranging from £1k to £5m, and covering a variety of electrical, mechanical, instrumentation and controls - incorporating telemetry/SCADA as well as some minor mechanical and civils.
Key duties will include:
- Strategic leadership of the Engineering Group and the 5 Heads of Department
- Regular meetings with Heads of Department on project progress and performance
- Drive efficiency improvements and achievement of KPIs across the departments
- Be a mentor for enterprise and maximising commercial success in project delivery
- Assist in contract negotiation where required
- Oversee resource and skills planning
- Work closely with the Financial Controller on financial reporting, budgets, targets etc
- Provide technical expertise to support the engineering staff and further their development
- Ensure Health & Safety compliance, policy, culture and reputation.
- £68k per annum
- Company Car / £5400 allowance p.a.
- Private health to follow
- 21 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Increasing holiday entitlement with service
- Company pension
- SPA Rewards scheme
This role is based in the Reading office with some requirement to visit other offices and client sites
There is currently a work from home policy with office attendance only when needed - this will include initial induction and training.
Basingstoke, Bracknell, Guildford, High Wycombe, Maidenhead, Newbury, Oxford, Reading, Slough, Swindon, Wokingham
A strong leader with strategic thinking, who will bring oversight and added value on the commercial side of projects, while having the capability to be involved in the engineering and technical aspects in order to grow and develop the engineering departments.
- Good technical knowledge of Electrical, Instrumentation, Controls and Mechanical Engineering
- Relevant experience within the Water Industry
- Excellent commercial acumen, budget control and negotiation
- Strong leadership and mentoring qualities
- Good problem solving skills with the ability to identify and drive improvement opportunities
- Diligent and safety aware.
Suitable applicant roles include
Engineering Manager, Senior Project Manager, Senior Programme Manager, Senior MEICA Manager, Electrical Project Manager